Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Friday, February 20, 2009

The Bonding



This could be something common - no matter where I go I think of my home, a place where I grew up. Basically I am still very attached to it in many ways. Guess that happens when we stay in one place for a long time - we bond!

I have been away from home for 11 years. Many things have happened and things could never go back to where it was. My parents have passed away and some of my family members have moved out and made another place a new home. And so have I.

But certain things remain the same. For instance, my family cooking or foods that I and my family members ate when we stayed together at home travel with us no matter where we go. Recipes might not be the same but somehow we always try to recompose them again, or when in some cases forgotten, we reinvent them all over again.

That happened to Chicken Curry. In the past my mom cooked it for dinner. My sisters were fond of doing the same and still do. On a holiday trip to Hong Kong, I was surprised my auntie there served the same dish. And now I am cooking it too…

I figured.... we might not stay at home anymore but our bond to home is still very strong!

YELLOW CHICKEN CURRY
Serves 4 persons

Ingredients:
- Fresh chicken drumsticks > 8-10 (approx.1 kilogram)
- Potato > cut into big chunks > 150 grams
- Tamarind juice > 4 tablespoons
- Thick lemon grass - remove outer shell and crush the center > 1
- Kaffir lime leaves > 4
- Coconut milk > 1 litre
- Salt > 1 teaspoon

Spices:
- Coriander seeds - toast on pan > 2 teaspoons
- Red chilies - slice > 8
- Red onions - slice > 8
- Galangal - peel and slice > approx. 4 cm
- Ginger - peel and slice > approx. 4 cm
- Turmeric - skin and slice > approx. 2 cm
- Water > 2 tablespoons

Method:
- Marinate chicken drumsticks with tamarind juice for 30 minutes.
- Mix spices in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Sauté spices for 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Fold in lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, salt, and coconut milk.
- Turn to low heat. Simmer for 10 minutes while stir constantly.
- Add chicken drumsticks. Cook for 30-35 minutes until they are soft and cooked.
- Serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. This is my Fav thai food...
    Would it taste the same If I use store bought Yellow curry paste ?

    ReplyDelete