Thursday, April 30, 2009
Took me a while to dig out photos that I sent to Jason, my
cousin last Spring. I rememberred vividly how he was totally
freaked out being assigned to help out with the catering for his
school's Spring Collection Fashion Show.
No, not that Jason is a good cook or has a parent who is a chef
or has any connection with any culinary institutions of any sort.
But just basically he is Asian, a creative one... and this year's
collection has the provocative Asian theme. So the Committee
was thinking that having him in the catering team will churn out
some great spicy ideas of what to be served during the break of
the show. Well, I guess this happens when they do not allocate
any budget for hiring a professional catering service.
And that was how I got involved. He must be scratching his
head off before he finally decided to ask for my suggestion. He
sounded desperate in his long distance call. So I told him that I
gave him some ideas the next day.
Chinese Drunken Prawn Quiche, Fried Fish Ball, Fresh Spring
Roll, ... to Crab in Mayonaisse Eclair. Among those ideas, I liked
Fresh Spring Roll the most. It carries the word "Spring", fresh,
not fried... and the filling contains colorful vegetables that
reflects the season's freshness - budding of trees and growth of
plants. And not to forget, easy to make!
FRESH SPRING ROLLS
Makes 20 rolls
- Spring roll pastry - available in supermarkets > 20 pieces
- Water > 1 liter
- Salt > 1 teaspoon
- Carrots - grate coarsely into long sticks > 200 grams
- Asparagus > 20 stems
- Green salad lettuce - tear into moderate sheets > 200 grams
- Candlenut - toss on pan til cooked > 3
- Garlic > 6 cloves
- Shallot > 4 cloves
- Butter > 2 tablespoons
- Chicken - mince > 300 grams
- Ground coriander seeds > 2 teaspoons
- Granulated sugar > 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Salt > 3/4 teaspoon
- Ground pepper > 1/2 teaspoon
- Spring onion - chop > 2 stalks
- Leave spring roll pastry in room temperature. Cover with damb
cloth to avoid pastry from drying out.
- Boil water and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Fold in asparagus and
carrots until moderately cooked. Drain and leave to cool.
- Combine candlenut, garlic, and shallot in a food processor until
- Saute garlic mixture with butter until fragrant and golden
brown. Fold in minced chicken and add coriander seeds, sugar,
salt, and pepper.
- Fry until chicken is cooked and dry. Add spring onion.
- Set aside and leave to cool.
- Spread spring roll sheet in a diagonal position. Arrange lettuce
and asparagus at the center, carrots on the right, and chicken
on the left. Let vegetables stick out at the top.
- Roll spring roll sheet to cover and fold the bottom down to