Friday, April 17, 2009
Biscotti originated from the Latin word "biscotto" - "bis" means twice and "cotto" means baked. The term therefore refers to the type of biscuits baked twice and therefore, crunchy and rather dry in texture. Originally flavored with almonds, the crisp nature makes biscotti a great accompaniment for a cup of strong coffee or a glass of dessert wine.
Baked my very first biscotti when I was dating a flight attendant. As an exchange to my date's delicious home-made Italian dinner earlier, I thought it would only be appropriate if I baked Italian biscuits to accompany our TV watching session. Fortunately they turned out right and what a coincidence Ginger Almond Biscotti happened to be my date's favorite!
Well, that was the past..... Now it is more like practicing and see whether there is any necessity to adjust the recipe. And yes, my current date has to help me gradually finish up the whole tray. So they'd better be crunchy and scrumptious. On a second thought, what if my date doesn't really like it?
GINGER ALMOND BISCOTTI
Makes 12 pieces
Prepare: a rectangular bread mould with length 8 inch, width 4 inch and height 2.5 inch, and a big baking tray
- Multi purpose flour > 120 grams
- Baking powder > 1 teaspoon
- Granulated sugar > 80 grams
- Salt > 1/8 teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder > 3/4 teaspoon
- Salted butter > 40 grams
- Egg > 1
- Almond sticks > 25 grams
- Candied ginger > 20 grams
- Fresh ginger - chop > 10 grams
- Preheat oven to 190ºC.
- Combine multi purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add salted butter and egg and mix till well combined.
- Finally fold in almond stick, candied ginger, and chopped fresh ginger.
- Press dough into mould and flatten the surface.
- Bake at 190ºC for 20 minutes.
- Remove mould out from oven and take baked biscotti out.
- Cut into slices with thickness of 1 cm.
- Arrange in a wide baking tray.
- Return to oven and continue baking for 10 minutes, reverse biscotti upside down and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Check whether biscotti is dry, hard and crunchy.
- Leave to cool on wire tray.