Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Friday, July 31, 2009

A Fall and A Crack



After the relationship is over, it is time to start taking care of myself even more. It is typical, crucial and the best that one can do in such situation. The focus has now shifted from two to one.

Thinking about doing just that reminds me of a small accident I had when I was with C - one Sunday afternoon I fell from my bed and my right back landed on the edge of the bed frame. The pain followed almost instantly. The muscle pain relief cream didn't seem to work as usual so two days later I went to see a chiropractor. He referred me to an internist who did a thorough checkup on my back and requested an X-ray. The result came out showing an early crack on one of my right rib segments and the doctor put me on medication right away .



I was worried and totally refrained from all exercises and yoga practices. The doctor also advised me to consume more Calcium which raised the occasion for me to cook something that contained the rich-in-Calcium anchovy. And that was how this Fried Curry Cucumber with Anchovy came into place.

The following two weeks I went back for another X-ray and the result confirmed that the rib segment had recovered itself. It was a true relief! Writing down the recipe for this dish just brought back that memory...



FRIED CURRY CUCUMBER WITH ANCHOVY
Serves 3 persons

Ingredients:
- Cucumber – peel, remove seeds, cut into batons 5-6 cm long and around 1.5-2 cm thick > 150 grams
- Dry anchovy > 100 grams
- Green Smith apple – peel, core, slice into 1 cm thick segments > 1 or 75 grams
- Enokitake mushroom > 120 grams
- White cabbage – coarsely shred > 175 grams
- Dry bay leaves > 7
- Curry powder > 3 teaspoons
- Soya sauce > 4 teaspoons
- Granulated sugar > 3 teaspoons
- Red chillies – halve diagonally > 3
- Cucumber – grate coarsely > 25 grams
- Mint > 2 leaves



Method:
- Preheat pan and fry anchovy until fragrant.
- Add white cabbage shreds and apple segments and fry for a short while.
- Fold in cucumber batons, enokitake mushroom, curry powder and bay leaves.
- Season with soya sauce and granulated sugar.
- Before remove from fire, add chillies.
- Serve hot. Garnish with cucumber shreds and mint leaves.

4 comments:

  1. yippiiii..!! It's a brand new day *can I say that Kris ? :D - yeaah, life is always like that up & down, but next you will realize (it doesn't matter what), that you are the lucky one :D

    So, now lets enjoy your dish..seem so delicious, I will try this recipes too. (Im sorry I didnt updating often, and I miss the event :O or maybe I can say that I let you compete with others and bring the badge to your home LOL..

    ReplyDelete
  2. After the relationship is over, it is time to start taking care of myself even more. It is typical, crucial and the best that one can do in such situation. The focus has now shifted from two to one.

    I'm in the same boat as you..and still getting over it. I love that paragraph above as it rings so true, but sometimes it's easier said than done. Regardless, his loss, considering the dishes you turn out! That fried curry cucumber with anchovy is so unique and the ingredients are wonderful. I can only imagine how good it tastes. Oh wait, I can make it for myself thanks to your yummy recipe for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fit! Yes, see it in the brighter side of things..... lucky I am still running this blog :-)

    Try the recipe and please feedback okay? Maybe there must be something I should add or distract...

    Photo event... still the more the merrier!

    Regards
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. True enough, Lisa! Easier said than done... Above all, time is the only factor that truly decides when we are moving on!

    Glad you like the recipe. Try it and feedback to me ... maybe it needs some adjustments :-)

    Last but not least, let's move on!

    Regards
    Kris

    ReplyDelete