Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Her Favorite Pie



Ran into my pyschiatrist friend's family while I was in the supermarket last weekend. It has been a long while I didn't see them and the occasion of seeing them accidentally was quite a pleasant surprise.

Of course we chatted a little bit while I was queueing at the cashier, especially with my friend's mom and auntie. Interesting conversation about work, daily life, and my baking activities. This family is very familiar with my cakes since I used to bake for them quite regularly while I was visiting. My friend usually asked me to stay for lunch or dinner with his family since his auntie enjoyed cooking a variety of dishes for each meal. And they all taste good. So to show my appreciation, I baked something nice on my following visit.

That reminds me about my conversation with his auntie a few years back. As I was asking her what would be her favorite cake if I was to bake for her. And she answered convincingly: "Lemon pie". Told her I would bake just that if my free occasion arises. And that should be now!

MERINGUE LEMON PIE
Serves 10 persons



Note: Prepare lemon cream 4 hours and crust 1 hour in advanced.

1. Crust

Prepare: 8.5 inch tart mould

Ingredients:
- All purpose flour > 125 grams
- Salt > 1 gram
- Icing sugar > 50 grams
- Almond powder > 18 grams
- Eggs > 28 grams
- Unsalted butter – room temperature > 88 grams

Method:
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Mix all ingredients together to form dough.
- Roll crust dough into a 0.3 thickness and press it at the base and sides of the tart mould. Poke some holes on the center.
- Position aluminium foil on top of crust dough. Add beans for weights.
- Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes. Remove aluminium foil and beans and continue baking until crust turns golden brown.
- Cool crust on wire rack.

2. Lemon cream

Ingredients:
- Eggs > 134 grams
- Granulated sugar > 160 grams
- Lemon juice > 100 ml
- Lemon rind > 6 grams
- Unsalted butter – room temperature > 200 grams

Method:
- Combine egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice and rind. Whip moderately until smooth.
- Fold into a saucepan and cook in low heat. Constantly stir until mixture is thick.
- Place in a mixing bowl and cool on ice bath until it reaches 45°C.
- Add butter and whip until smooth.
- Pour into air tight container and refrigerate for 4 hours.



3. Italian meringue

Ingredients:
- Egg whites > 70 grams
- Water > 80 ml
- Granulated sugar > 150 grams

Method:
- Fold lemon cream into the crust and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Place egg whites in the mixing bowl ready to be whipped.
- Mix water and sugar in a saucepan. Cook over low heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring syrup to 117°C.
- While syrup is about 110°C, start whipping egg whites until frothy. At exactly 117°C, pour hot syrup into egg whites while whipping until stiff peaks form. Meringue will look smooth and glossy.
- Fill meringue into a piping bag with a flat piping tip. Pipe on top of lemon cream in zigzag formation.
- Burn meringue with a blow torch.
- Decorate with lemon slices.



4 comments:

  1. Stunning! You have the most beautiful works of art...and they are, art!!! I can only imagine how wonderful they taste. One of these days I will be making this very 'cake'...my oldest daughter's favorite item for every birthday: Lemon Meringue Pie!

    Kudos to you on such a lovely item.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Margie! And happy baking.... wish your daughter enjoy her favorite pie!

    And eager to know what you will be baking for your daughter's wedding. :-) Keep me posted!

    Regards
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful....Goodness what a work of art. Time consuming I would think but worth it
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linda! The taste pays off the effort.

    Regards
    Kris

    ReplyDelete