Friday, July 24, 2009
Everything seems to be black when a relationship ends. When I come back into my empty room, there is a void - hollow feeling that someone that was once warmly occupying every corners of my space had vanished. Some of his belongings are still lying around not knowning that things have changed. Could still remember the laughter and jokes which were once shared so intimately. And four and a half months of memories ... sweet and bitter!
These all seem unavoidable as I slowly let go of my misery, embrace myself and assure that I will make it through, all over again... alone!
Of all the black sadness and loneliness, I am glad a red tint of comfort splashes through my heart telling myself that I have done the right thing. Choosing to love myself more when the other just couldn't care less. People can come and go into my life, but I will always be there for myself...
BLACK SESAME MACARONS
Makes 10 macarons
1. Black Sesame Macarons
Prepare: 1 big baking tray lined with a Silpat or parchment paper
- Egg white > 70 grams
- Sugar > 50 grams
- Icing sugar > 90 grams
- Ground almond > 45 grams
- Ground black sesame > 25 grams
- Combine icing sugar, ground black sesame and ground almond. Sieve.
- Whip egg white until frothy. Add sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Fold almond and icing mixture gradually into the egg white in 2 additions. Mix carefully with a spatula until batter is shiny and flowy like magma.
- Fill batter into piping bag tipped with a plain circular nozzle and pipe into a circle with a diameter of 3 cm. Piping makes 20 pieces.
- Leave to rest until surface of these pipings are flat and dry or when touched, it doesn't stick to our finger.
- Preheat oven at 150°C.
- Bake at 150°C for 8-10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 125°C, turn tray 180 degrees and continue baking for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool on the rack and detach from Silpat or parchment paper.
2. Black Sesame cream
- Whipping cream > 50 grams
- Sesame paste > 20 grams
- Beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Add black sesame paste and mix thoroughly.
- Fill black sesame cream into piping bag and pipe on the macaron. Top with the other macaron to form like a sandwich.