Friday, July 31, 2009
After the relationship is over, it is time to start taking care of myself even more. It is typical, crucial and the best that one can do in such situation. The focus has now shifted from two to one.
Thinking about doing just that reminds me of a small accident I had when I was with C - one Sunday afternoon I fell from my bed and my right back landed on the edge of the bed frame. The pain followed almost instantly. The muscle pain relief cream didn't seem to work as usual so two days later I went to see a chiropractor. He referred me to an internist who did a thorough checkup on my back and requested an X-ray. The result came out showing an early crack on one of my right rib segments and the doctor put me on medication right away .
I was worried and totally refrained from all exercises and yoga practices. The doctor also advised me to consume more Calcium which raised the occasion for me to cook something that contained the rich-in-Calcium anchovy. And that was how this Fried Curry Cucumber with Anchovy came into place.
The following two weeks I went back for another X-ray and the result confirmed that the rib segment had recovered itself. It was a true relief! Writing down the recipe for this dish just brought back that memory...
FRIED CURRY CUCUMBER WITH ANCHOVY
Serves 3 persons
- Cucumber – peel, remove seeds, cut into batons 5-6 cm long and around 1.5-2 cm thick > 150 grams
- Dry anchovy > 100 grams
- Green Smith apple – peel, core, slice into 1 cm thick segments > 1 or 75 grams
- Enokitake mushroom > 120 grams
- White cabbage – coarsely shred > 175 grams
- Dry bay leaves > 7
- Curry powder > 3 teaspoons
- Soya sauce > 4 teaspoons
- Granulated sugar > 3 teaspoons
- Red chillies – halve diagonally > 3
- Cucumber – grate coarsely > 25 grams
- Mint > 2 leaves
- Preheat pan and fry anchovy until fragrant.
- Add white cabbage shreds and apple segments and fry for a short while.
- Fold in cucumber batons, enokitake mushroom, curry powder and bay leaves.
- Season with soya sauce and granulated sugar.
- Before remove from fire, add chillies.
- Serve hot. Garnish with cucumber shreds and mint leaves.