Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Monday, June 6, 2011

The Flower Spray



What could be more interesting than decorating cakes with flowers? In this case, gumpaste flowers. While before I found my passion for fondant decoration, my cakes were mostly decorated with either fresh fruits, chocolate pieces, or buttercream piping.



Only when I embraced the muse of fondant world, the decorating ideas became truly limitless. And I enjoyed every design and color possibility - it is like pushing myself back into graphic design all over again - only now I fiddle with fondant and gumpaste as my media.



For those who love flower gumpaste, mostly are big fans of Alan Dunn, the author of uncountable cake decorating and sugar flower books. Alan is a true inspiration for many of us who admire the natural beauty of flowers and plants, and make an attempt to mimic them into cake decoration.



I am sure his upcoming book "Tropical and Exotic Flowers for Cakes" that will be published in August this year will become a big hit. Can't wait to get a copy of it!



Meanwhile, I was spending my free time developing this set of birthday cakes for my boss' birthday celebration. Apparently he was very excited about the flower spray - he started pulling the blossoms out from the arrangement and giving to the female staff in the office. The white rose which was the centerpiece, was given to his assistant. All in all, it was a wonderful celebration and everyone seemed to enjoy his or her slice of chocolate cake.

29 comments:

  1. Stunning! I'd be happy to receive just a flower for this gorgeous cake too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful decorated cake, such a great design like all your cakes, wow! It's really something to be able to make these amazing designs! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow..this is so pretty !! two thumbs up, Kris. For sure, your boss loves this. Let,see.. did you keep all the pictures ? it must be great to see all the pictures, and you will see your baking talent grow big everytime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! This looks very beautiful! I would rather to admire your master work than eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those flowers look amazing Kris! I have no patience to make things like that myself but I love how it looks. You seem to get better with every cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...che meraviglia!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a phenomenal work of art my friend. I wish my boss would go around handing out flowers (I'd love to see that)! I have not heard of Alan, but thank you for introducing him to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your talent just boggles my mind, Kris! Your flowers are INCREDIBLE!!! When are you going to publish a book? :) Please do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... everytime i look at your baking i am stunned! I looove your cupcakes!! You're really good at making cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, you could really be famous dessert maker - so much talent

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alan Dunn is amazing isn't he?! Your flowers are lovely, the colours and selection work so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ma che meraviglia!! Non posso non farti i miei complimenti, è fantastica e non dev'essere molto semplice da realizzare! Un abbraccio e buonissima serata

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my goodness, it's just so gorgeous. and i love the little lily cupcakes! it's almost too pretty to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your work never ceases to amaze me. It takes my breath away!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning! The flowers look perfect, like real ones. Congratulations once more, you have done a perfect job on this cake, as always. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your flowers and lilies are just magical! :o

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what incredible talent. I came over from Munchkin Munchies to check out your croissants and I find this. I need to try gum paste flowers. I have wanted to do it for years and now blogging gets me doing things I have always wanted to try. Gorgeous!
    Now I am off to find your croissants!
    Oh, I am also your newest follower and can't wait to see more! You are pure inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Kris, that is so lovely! And the dear cupcakes with their blooms are adorable! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kris, if you lived anywhere near Paris, I would kidnap you and beg that you bake a birthday cake for me. So beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. งดงามมากคะ

    ReplyDelete
  21. That cake is immaculate. I cannot believe it's real! Seriously, amazing, amazing job - you always out-do yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a gorgeous arrangement. Very nice. I never get my placements right, even though I can make the flowers.

    ReplyDelete