Thursday, March 19, 2009
The first chance I had to bake a chocolate pie came two weeks ago when I wasn't really in the mood for anything chocolatey. But two things occured right at the same time: an exciting date and a close friend's visit. So there I was right in my kitchen carrying out a baking mission to welcome both parties. To my surprise I discovered that both love chocolate. Therefore, what flavour would be best to bake but a chocolate pie?
Found my desired recipe but didn't really fancy the topping which happened to be meringue. Why not compliment the milk chocolate filling with a top layer of soft flowy dark chocolate coating that looks like lava? I could imagine it flowed and melted gently once it touched the tounge, which seemed perfect. A slight bitterness blended with milky sweetness...
CHOCOLATE LAVA PIE
Serves 10 persons
Prepare: 7 inch cake ring - cover base and sides with aluminium foil
- Chocolate cookies > 180 grams
- Butter - melt > 45 grams
- Almond > 20 grams
- Place chocolate cookies and almond in a food processor and crush until fine.
- Pour into a mixing bowl and blend with melted butter to form crumbs.
- Press crumbs into base and sides of the cake ring.
- Egg yolks > 3
- Granulated sugar > 4 tablespoons
- Corn flour > 4 tablespoons
- Milk > 450 ml
- Dairy whipping cream > 150 ml
- Milk chocolate - melt > 100 grams
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Mix egg yolks, corn flour, and granulated sugar. Whip until pale and thick. Set aside.
- Take crust out from the fridge.
- Heat milk and whipping cream in a saucepan until almost boiled.
- Gradually pour into the egg mixture whilst stirring with a whisk.
- Return to saucepan. Cook and stir constantly until it is thickened. Remove from fire.
- Fold in the melted milk chocolate and stir until chocolate completely melted.
- Pour chocolate filling into crust about 4/5 full.
- Bake at 160°C for 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool.
3. Lava Top
- Dark chocolate > 65 grams
- Dairy whipping cream > 45 grams
- When cake is cool, cook whipping cream until boiled.
- Fold in dark chocolate and stir until chocolate entirely dissolved.
- Pour chocolate on top of cool cake. Refrigerate.
- Decorate with strawberry slices and chocolate ornaments.