Friday, March 20, 2009
Crisp, juicy and tart, Granny Smith are excellent apples suitable for cooking, baking, and eating raw. Vivid light green is its color, the history brought it back to Australia in the year 1868 when Maria Ann Smith propagated a chance seedling and that was the time Granny Smith, followed the name of its propagator, was first cultivated.
Compared to other kinds of apples, Granny Smith is the most suitable for making apple pie due to its firm texture and sharp taste. Conveniently available in supermarkets throughout the year makes it a great choice for baking and cooking in any occasions.
BAVARIAN APPLE CHEESE PIE
Serves 8 persons
Prepare: one 7 inch cake ring, covered bottom and sides with aluminium foil.
- All purpose flour > 105 grams
- Granulated sugar > 42 grams
- Butter - room temperature > 86 grams
- Egg yolk > 1
- Salt > 1/8 teaspoon
- Ice cold water > 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Combine flour, sugar, butter, and salt in a bowl and mix into a dough.
- Beat egg yolk and cold water with a fork until frothy.
- Add egg yolk mixture into dough. Mix well.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 190 degree Celsius.
- Roll pastry dough into thickness of 0.4cm, enough to cover the base and sides of cake ring.
- Bake blind at 190 degree Celsius for 15 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Granny Smith apples - thinly slice >2 big apples
- Cream cheese - soften > 160 grams
- Icing sugar > 21 grams
- Egg > 49 grams
- Granulated sugar > 64 grams
- Vanilla essence > 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon > 1/2 teaspoon
- Nutmeg > 1/8 teaspoon
- Flaked almonds > 21 grams
- Preheat oven at 175 degree Celsius.
- Mix cheese cream, icing sugar, egg, and vanilla essence in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Fold into the baked crust.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl. Add apples and toss until spices cover apples thoroughly.
- Arrange apple on top of filling. Spread flaked almond.
- Bake at 175 degree Celsius for 1 hour and 15 minures or until the crust is brown and apples turn soft and cooked.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool on wire rack.