Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Sunday, August 22, 2010

First Anniversary



This is the post I have been waiting to send out since last two weeks ago. It presents a simple recipe which I like very much due to its taste and the endless possibility of fruit decoration. And it expresses how special August is to me.



August is a pleasant month in Bangkok. The rainy season is back and the weather is cool and sometimes windy. After months of heat this is the month most of us here have been waiting for. Fruits are plentiful too, for one I can see starfruit, a particular fruit that is so appealing in sliced form and suitable for cake top decoration. And it just happened that we can also find abundant imported fruits like strawberries (I just love the weird longish shaped Australian strawberries, they are so peculiar and beautiful in their own way....), kiwi fruits and lots of cherries. Just love them all.



August also marks the first anniversary for me and T. It has been a remarkable year in a relationship that seems promising and feels so right. The chemistry is great between us and I could see myself cutting down on activities so I could go back home earlier and be with him. Deep down I just feel so grateful that somehow destiny has led me to him after a long and tiring search.



If you have noticed I also have changed the look of my blog. August is the start of the series of changes I am planning to do for myself. There would be more things featured in this blog and soon enough there would be an official bakeinparis site (I am excited about this, a lot!) and currently thinking about setting up a photography blog, a place where I could pour out my passion for still-life photography. Lots of photos that fall into a non-food category need a platform for display and comment.



And the "Order a Cake" thingy will work soon I am ready with the mechanism for ordering and delivery. So for now, it just sits there quietly and hope you don't mind about it. Cross my finger, it will be activated soon.... However, the cake order is only open to Bangkok customers in yet limited areas. But I guess I need to get started somewhere somehow and it seems fun to fill up my time with someone else's special celebration, don't you think?



FRUIT TART
Makes one 7 inch pie or five 3.5 inch mini pies



1. Crème Patissiere

Ingredients:
- Egg yolks > 3
- Granulated sugar > 60 grams
- All purpose flour > 20 grams
- Evaporated milk> 100ml
- Fresh milk > 150 ml
- Vanilla essence > 1 teaspoon



Method:
- Beat egg yolks and 20 grams of sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Gently fold in all purpose flour. Set aside.
- Mix evaporated milk, fresh milk, 40 grams of sugar and vanilla essence in a saucepan. Bring to boil.
- Once boiled, pour hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture while stirring vigorously with a whisk to avoid eggs from getting cooked.
- When the milk mixture is completely mixed with egg mixture, return the combined mixture into saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat. Whisk constantly. After boiled, continue cook for 10 minutes more.
- Pour custard into a heatproof bowl and cover with cling film. Leave to cool and refrigerate overnight.
- Beat with electric mixer until smooth before applying to pie.



2.Crust
Prepare: one pie 7 inch pie mould, height 1.5 inch or five 3.5 inch mini pie, height 1 inch

Ingredients:
- All purpose flour > 125 grams
- Salted butter – chop into cubes > 50 grams
- Egg > 1
- Salt > 1/8 teaspoon
- Icing sugar > 50 grams
- Fruits for decoration.



Method:
- Place all purpose flour on table top and make a well in the middle.
- Pour butter, egg, and salt into the well and quickly mix all together until just about lumpy.
- Add egg in the middle and mix to form dough that is holding together. Knead into smooth dough.
- Shape dough into a ball, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200C.



- Roll out dough into a circle slightly bigger than 10 inch and with 3 mm thickness.
- Press into pie mould. Prick the base with fork. Line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove paper and beans. Bake for 10 minutes more. Let cool.
Fill with crème patissiere. Decorate with fruits.

28 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous tart!

    Happy Anniversary and may there be many more! Nice new look.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary!
    It just struck me right away, as I read your blog title, because I also celebrated my first anniversary this month. But mine was *just* if my blog.
    I'm eager to see what kind of cakes you will offer, although I could not order them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, happy anniversary! I wish you many more happy moments together. I'm looking forward to all the changes, especially to your new site. Can't wait to see your work.

    Cheers,

    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm speachless........ tes photos sont si belles....bravo pour le new look, très réussi, quoique le premier était également de toute beauté...bravo, you are my hero ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats for the first anniversary. your blog is so inspiring for me. always as i open your link I feel that I m standing out side a high class patisserie shop in Paris. why out side? because i can just watch cant eat all these.. :( I want to come in side please open the door............
    just kidding..lol
    but really you are great in baking & decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, so many news in just one post!! Congrats and good luck with your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. may your anniversary be filled with love on this your special day, and may your love grow more and more everyday :)

    You are such a very talented person Kris, I'm glad to find you as a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary Kris!! :)) And what a beautiful tart to celebrate August!!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another stunning post. It looks like a fabulous dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey congrats with all these new developments!!! I'm super excited for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, a simple dessert but a oh-so-not-simple presentation!!! So beautiful! The photo's are goregeous. Congratulations on your anniversary!
    I too, am excited when you mentioned a photography blog. I am a fan and would love to see more and maybe learn from you! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These fruit tarts are beautiful. They look so lovely, I would almost hate to eat them. Almost, I said.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Your fruit pie looks so good! Wish I could get starfruit here =[ It looks really pretty...haha
    But anyways....I love fruit tarts/pies, and this is one of the best I've seen =] It looks rerally professional, and I love all the colours and the way you arranged the fruit! I'll definitely try this one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful layout and beautiful tart, Kris! Simple crème pâtissiere and fresh fruit is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, Kris! You are such an inspration to me, and many others! I love the look of your blog and am looking forward to all the new things you have in store! Can't wait! Your tarts are beautiful!

    Thanks for the black sesame suggestion for macarons...I want to try it!Thanks for the challenge:)

    Best wishes to you!

    Sue:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, gorgeous fruity pies--they're too pretty to eat! Oh, please deliver to Manila, I will be your first customer here :)
    Congratulations to you and T. My bf and I are also celebrating this August :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy anniversary to you both! May it be the first of many! Your tarts look phenomenal! And I like the new look of your blog very much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These photos are simply stunning! I love the photo styling!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Anniversary!
    And I adore your tart...photographed beautifully as usual.
    Can't wait for all your changes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How exciting! There are a lot of changes happening for you. Congrats on your anniversary, I can just tell by your posts how happy you are and it just makes me so happy hearing about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy anniversary to you and T and I know you'll have many more to come XD. Your tarts are beautiful, as we've come to expect from you. I'm sure your business will do very well once you set up a mechanism for ordering. Dang, I wish I lived in Bangkok to sample your goods.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Anniversary!! You sound so in love :)
    I love starfruit too, it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kris, happy anniversary. There is really nothing like having someone to share your life with. I'll be celebrating my 3rd year wedding anniversary in Oct and I can't believe that time has flown so quickly. Be happy and you truly deserve it. BTW love the look of your new blog .. so vibrant with colour.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy anniversary! I just love what you baked for this occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Anniversary!! These tarts look amazing!!! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations, Kris. Best wishes to you in all that you venture forth into.
    August is also special for me as its the month of our wedding anniversary and my husband's birthday too. :)

    ReplyDelete