Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Caramel Surprise



Last month when I was in the challenge for Daring Bakers' Mallows I stumbled into marshmallow leftover with which I wasn't sure what to do. The fact it displayed please-dont-throw-me-away-i-am-edible kind of look moved my hands to fill it into a piping bag fitted with star nozzle and start piping on baking trays.



As the star shaped marshmallows were sitting there for hours, they showed no sign of any possibility to be removed from the tray as they were just glued into the parchment sheets. I was totally clueless but one thing for sure - I didn't want to waste it. So I preheated the oven at 160 degree Celsius and baked them for 10 minutes, turned the tray 180 degrees and continued baking for 10 more minutes.



And the result was crispy marshmallows with strong taste of caramel. Entirely different in texture and taste from marshmallows. I liked them even though I am not really a marshmallow fan.

CRISPY MARSHMALLOWS



Ingredients:
- Water > 23 grams or 1/8 cup
- Light corn syrup > 33 grams or 1/8 cup
- Sugar > 84 grams
- Powdered gelatine > 4 grams or ½ tablespoon
- Cold water > 9 grams or 1 tablespoon
- Egg white – room temperature > 1
- Vanilla essence > ¼ teaspoon



Method:
- Sprinkle gelatine over cold water and let dissolve.
- In a saucepan combine water, corn syrup, and sugar and bring to boil at “soft boll” stage or 115C.
- Remove syrup from heat and add gelatine. Mix well.
- Beat egg white until soft peaks form. While stir beating pour hot syrup into the whites.



- Add vanilla essence and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer to a piping bag fitted with star nozzle.
- Pipe stars on the baking tray lined with parchment sheet. Space out about 2cm in between stars. Let set in room temperature for 2 hours.



- Preheat oven to 160 degree Celsius.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn tray 10 degrees and continue baking for 10 more minutes or until stars are golden brown.
- Cool.

8 comments:

  1. Yum - I love this idea =D. Crispy Marshmallows sound absolutely divine, and they look amazing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful....!!!! GOSH, kris how come you made all the star in the same shape ? o my..o my.. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I too, am not the biggest fan of marshmallows plain, but I love caramel and this is a fantastic way to make them even better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! I wish I could be as crative as yours when it comes to leftover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys, hope to find more way out for leftover in the future. Ha ha stay tuned :-)

    Regards
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy to see these lovely dishes and thanks for nice dishes recepie....

    Janny

    Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea. Sounds absolutely delicious!

    Just found your blog through Vera's blog (bakingobsession). Great blog. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete