Wednesday, June 3, 2009
My grandmother was a very strong character in the family. She was the source of wisdom and her words of advice were highly appreciated and most of the time followed by every family members. She lived long because she took very good care of her health. Every once in a while, she told us during her youth she took ginseng regularly and stressed that no vegetables and fruits were supposed to be taken after consuming ginseng or else its value for health would be a waste.
I grew up in her presence and when she passed away at the age of 97 years old, I really felt the loss. But she would always be in my memory - her good advice endlessly guides me in my path of life and her kindness reminds me that there would always be good people surrounding me. Thanks, Grandma!
MY GRANDMOTHER'S PORRIDGE
Serves 3 persons
- Water > 2 litres
- Red rice > 2 cups
- Carrots > cut into moderate chunks > 220 grams
- Tomatoes – cut into quarters > 4
- Salt > 1 teaspoon
- Boil water. Fold in red rice and cook for half an hour.
- Add carrots, tomatoes, and salt.
- Continue cooking for 40 minutes.
- Serve hot with pickled tofu.