Monday, January 12, 2009
Sometimes I cook on the weekend and invite a close friend to join me for lunch or dinner. Mostly dinner. It is a nice occasion when we can chat over a nice meal without the rush or the crowd like while we are having our one-hour lunch on working days. Conversation is enjoyable and we can eat as long as we like.
What to cook? My preference is making salad to go along with the main dish which most probably either chicken or seafood with rice. Salad is great since it is easy to make and the ingredients are fresh! As Thai is well-known for being creative, Thai salad comes in many creative combinations. It will take months to explore all of them so I made my mind that I should just start with one - fresh and contains the vegetable which I really like: cucumber!
Hope I got everything right. Should just get a Thai friend to taste-prove it! :-)
SPICY CUCUMBER SALAD
Serves 4 persons
- Cucumber - remove skin and core seed section, slice thin in length > 1
- Prawn - remove skin and tail, devein, boil > 8
- Lettuce - shred into moderate size > 1
- Onion spring - slice > 2
- Red chilly - slice > 1
- Roasted black sesame > 1 teaspoon
- Roasted peanut > 1 tablespoon
- Red chilly - ground until fine > 2
- Sugar > 1 teaspoon
- Fish sauce > 2 tablespoons
- Lime juice > 2 tablespoons
- Make spices by mixing all ingredients together. Leave for later use.
- Mix boiled prawns, cucumber, lettuce, onion spring, and sliced red chilly in a salad bowl.
- Fold in spices and mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle with black sesame and peanuts.